Saturday 2 March 2013

Big pots.

I've been quite busy recently, getting pots made. I made a few tea / coffee cadies and posted some pics on my facebook page. This led to someone asking if I could make a bread crock for them. I don't tend to throw large pots very often as they take up so much space in the kiln. However, as I have a couple of tall pots sitting on shelves in the studio waiting to be fired I thought that one more large pot could make a kiln full of these bigger pots. The bread crock was made from around 9lbs of quite stiff clay. It was a real wrestling match getting this centred and I probably could have saved myself a workout by using softer clay; lesson for next time!
I've just finished lugging the bread crock and I'm pondering what if any decoration it'll have when fired. I also threw a handful of soup bowls tonight with a flat rim that'll be great for adding decoration to.
I'm really enjoying making pottery now that I've fitted a stove in the studio. it's so much easier to find the motivation to go into the studio when it's warm in there!

I included the mug in the picture to give some indication of the size. The picture on the left was pre lugging. Sorry about the poor quality of the second picture.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment