Sunday 10 February 2013

Hot, hot, hot!!!

Almost there! Actually, I took this about an hour ago, and the kiln soon reached cone 10 after this. It's now in reduction.
I lit the kiln at 9:30 am and it's now 8pm. In the past I've put the kiln into reduction before reaching cone 10 and then turned it off almost as soon as it got there. I'm going to let it soak for an hour tonight though and then gradually reduce the gas pressure for a while afterwards. The reason being the glaze in the last firing was riddled with pin holes. Hopefully leaving it for longer will give the glaze time to heal itself. I've read that the pinholes are caused by gases escaping from the clay body. The clay that I'm using at the moment has more of a rough / porous looking surface when bisque fired and is possibly why the problem seemed more evident in the last firing. In previous firings with the finer white stoneware the pinholes haven't been much of a problem.
I'm also going to allow the kiln to cool for longer and won't open it until Tuesday night.
I'll try to post pictures then.

No comments:

Post a Comment